Panel

Noticias Financieras

Port Commission discuss building of a bathhouse and laundry facility at small boat harbor
nomenuggethace 117d

Port Commission discuss building of a bathhouse and laundry facility at small boat harbor

By Ariana Crockett O’Harra The Nome Port Commission in last week’s meeting focused mainly on the one action item on the docket: a proposal for a bathhouse and laundry facility located at the Small Boat Harbor.Port Director Joy Baker introduced the proposal to the commissioners, noting that the designs included in the agenda packet were from 2017. “There’s been a lot of interest in establishing something like this, so we thought we would bring it back, revisit it, maybe modify the design a bit – this was supposed to be fairly large, perhaps we consider scaling it a little differently,” she said.The proposed facility would be located in a vacant lot between the Harbormaster’s office and Norton Sound Seafood Plant. There would be two toilets, four showers, and a laundry room with two washers and dryers, along with a mechanical and plumbing room, all with individual entrances.Commissioner Derek McLarty said that while he was in favor of the facility, he did not think it should be located directly in the middle of the lot and said that putting it there might cut out room for other development. He suggested keeping the bath house where the impounded vehicles are located. “I feel like that’s some prime real estate that we should definitely not throw a bath house at,” he said, referring to the area between the Harbormaster office and NSSP.Baker said that McLarty’s proposed area is already intended for expansion of the Harbormaster’s facilities and potentially storage. She said that the first location is open and not generating revenue right now.McLarty asked if the facility was intended to be year-round or just seasonal. “I could see something like this being utilized almost year-round, if we’re not careful,” he said.Baker said that facility is intended to be summer use only. “That could always be changed at the council table if they wanted to provide it as a laundry facility year-round,” she said. “I’ve never been very supportive of that being at the port, because I think there would be need for a significant amount of more washers and dryers if that was the case.”Commissioner Erik Noet pointed out that the design had a lot of wasted space, especially in the layout for the maintenance room. He also brought up how the doors could be an issue. “One thing about doors is there a maintenance issue, especially exterior doors, whether it’s the weather or the wind or just the people’s abuse,” he said.The commission voted to advance the proposal to the next stage of design. “This is the concept level to get the ball rolling, to look at updated numbers, and for you guys to play with the design, the location and all the factoring elements,” she said. “Then we go to the council and say, there’s a project we want to build, here’s where it’s going to go, and here’s what it’s going to cost.”Other BusinessCommissioners also spent time at the top of the meeting discussing the recent visit of representatives from the South Korean city of Busan, including Busan’s mayor, Heong-joon Park. The representatives met with city officials on January 6 and toured Nome’s port facilities, Norton Sound Seafood Plant and the Carrie M. McLain Memorial Museum.Sheffield, who was present at the meeting, noted that the preparation seemed “last minute.”She also said that she was surprised the meeting was closed to the public. “I think their opening words were like, ‘We’re here to hear. We’re here with transparency, and we’re here to listen, you know, talk with the whole community,’” she said.Sheffield said that the visit drove home that the port commission has more to talk about what they can offer the community and visitors to the port. “Their first questions were, ‘Where are you going to bunker the fuel? What services are you going to provide to the port?’ I think those are things we should be talking about,” she said.Lean said that the visitors were from a very different place and some of the questions they asked were out of context. He said that they wanted to know where vessels were pulled out of the water, and why the port was frozen. “They didn’t do their homework as well,” he said. “You know, we all could have done better.”Lean said that he feels after driving around the port and seeing the facilities, the visitors had a better understanding of what Nome has to offer. “It’s not going to be a one-on-one with Busan. They’re just checking it out,” he said. “I don’t think we embarrassed ourselves.”In a later comment, Baker said that delegation wasn’t prepared for the fact that Nome was frozen and had expected to see boat operations. The visit gave them an opportunity to see how the port and the private sector at the port operate. “They wanted to come and get an education,” she said. “I believe there will be follow up in a variety of ways.”She also noted that City of Nome did not invite other entities to the meeting because the delegation requested a direct meeting. “When these folks request direct meetings with the city, we don’t take it upon ourselves to invite a bunch of others, because it’s not within our right,” she said. “As it wasn’t requested as a public meeting, we only brought three members of the council, three members of the commission, because that is required by the Open Meetings Act law.”Looking aheadAs of January 9, eight cruise ships have confirmed they will dock in Nome during the 2026 season.Baker said that the port will again put out a bid for repairs to the West Gold Dock, which was damaged in 2024 by the cruise ship Roald Amundsen, docked there during a storm.Baker also noted that the West Nome Tank Farm has finally been conveyed to the City of Nome.The Snake River Mooring Project will have to wait until 2027 for construction to begin. Baker said that design still needs to go through another round of environmental planning. “We’re looking at fall [2026] to go out to bid. So, ‘27 construction,” she said.McLarty asked about the tent designs discussed in the previous Port Commission meeting in November. The port plans to spend Commercial Passenger Vessel Tax earnings on tents that can be used by visitors to the harbor. McLarty suggested that the port auction off advertising space on the tents to local businesses.Baker responded that they would have to make sure the design did not get too cluttered, but that it wasn’t a bad idea.Sheffield also spoke in favor of the idea. “I think that’s an excellent idea, and I think it’s a way for people to promote locally here,” she said.McLarty also suggested that a map of Nome be printed on the tent. “They can take a picture and walk around and look around, instead of having pamphlets and whatnot would be really helpful,” he said.Baker suggested that a QR code that linked to a map could be an option.The next port commission meeting is scheduled for February 19 at 5:30 p.m. in City Hall. Section: News

#COMMODITIES
When Conflict No Longer Moves Oil
moderndiplomacyhace 117d

When Conflict No Longer Moves Oil

Despite escalating conflicts, sanctions, and strategic rivalry across key producing regions, the global oil market increasingly behaves less like a system gripped by scarcity fears and more like one struggling to absorb abundance. Even dramatic shocks — from the US capture of Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro to renewed protests in Iran — have prompted only [...]The post When Conflict No Longer Moves Oil appeared first on Modern Diplomacy.

#STOCKS
Is Tim Cook Weakness Running Apple Set to Be Exposed Following As New Heir Apparent Emerges
channelnewshace 117d

Is Tim Cook Weakness Running Apple Set to Be Exposed Following As New Heir Apparent Emerges

Apple is approaching a pivotal moment as Chief Executive Tim Cook, a logistics-focused executive who rose through IBM and Compaq before joining Apple, nears what could be the final chapter of his tenure—raising questions about whether the company is prepared to reignite the kind of product-led innovation that once defined it. Cook, who has led [...]

#TECH
Nic Barker Explains ASCII, Unicode, and UTF-8
hackadayhace 117d

Nic Barker Explains ASCII, Unicode, and UTF-8

Over on YouTube [Nic Barker] gives us: UTF-8, Explained Simply. If you’re gonna be a hacker eventually you’re gonna have to write software to process and generate text data. And ...read more

#TECH
Apple Rejects Blame for Setapp Mobile App Marketplace Closure, Accuses EU of 'Political Delay Tactics'
macrumorshace 117d

Apple Rejects Blame for Setapp Mobile App Marketplace Closure, Accuses EU of 'Political Delay Tactics'

Apple has accused the European Commission of using "political delay tactics" to manufacture a reason to investigate and fine the company, according to Bloomberg.The statement appears designed to get ahead of reports that the EC is preparing to cite Apple as the reason behind the imminent closure of Setapp Mobile, the third-party iOS app marketplace that announced its shutdown earlier this month.MacPaw, the developer behind Setapp Mobile, said the service would close on February 16 due to "still-evolving and complex business terms" for alternative app stores in the EU.Responding to the closure, the EC is preparing to say that Apple "has not rolled out changes to address the key issues concerning its business terms, including their complexity," according to remarks seen by Bloomberg. However, Apple says the commission itself is blocking those changes."The European Commission has refused to let us implement the very changes that they requested," Apple said in a statement given to the publication. "In October, we submitted a formal compliance plan and they have yet to respond." Apple was required to allow third-party app marketplaces on iOS in the EU under the Digital Markets Act, which took effect more than two years ago. The company charges fees on those marketplaces, including a Core Technology Fee of €0.50 per install over one million. As a result of discussions with the EC last year, Apple said it planned to change its fee structure to a 5% revenue share to make it more economical for developers. Apple claims that change hasn't been implemented because the EC hasn't approved its compliance plan.Apple also disputed that Setapp is shutting down because of its policies, and claimed there is "no demand" for alternative App Stores in the EU. There are five other alternative marketplaces currently available, with the most prominent being the Epic Games Store.Tags: European Commission, European Union, SetappThis article, "Apple Rejects Blame for Setapp Mobile App Marketplace Closure, Accuses EU of 'Political Delay Tactics'" first appeared on MacRumors.comDiscuss this article in our forums

#TECH
Bitcoin Supply In Profit Stalls At 71%: Still Not Enough For A Sustainable Recovery
newsbtchace 117d

Bitcoin Supply In Profit Stalls At 71%: Still Not Enough For A Sustainable Recovery

Bitcoin is facing a critical test as volatility returns and price action remains unstable around the $90,000 level. Bulls are attempting to defend this psychological zone after recent turbulence, but confidence across the market is still fragile. With uncertainty dominating short-term sentiment, many traders are treating every bounce as a potential trap rather than the start of a confirmed recovery. Related Reading: Bitcoin’s Power Shift: New Whales Now Control The Market According to top analyst Darkfost, the market is still missing a key ingredient for a sustainable bullish continuation: a broad base of investors sitting in profit. He argues that despite Bitcoin’s resilience, there are not yet enough participants in positive territory to build the kind of structural comfort that fuels long-lasting uptrends. This matters because latent profits are not inherently bearish. In healthy conditions, when most holders are in profit, the market tends to stabilize. Investors feel less pressure to sell, panic fades, and holding becomes easier. That environment often supports stronger trend development and reduces the risk of sharp downside reactions. Still, Darkfost warns that profit dynamics only help up to a point. When unrealized gains become extreme across the entire market, they can eventually turn into overhead supply, triggering corrective phases. Bitcoin’s Profit Structure Still Isn’t Bullish Enough Profit distribution across holders can become a double-edged sword for Bitcoin. When the supply in profit climbs above 95% and approaches 100%, unrealized gains stop being supportive and begin turning into overhead pressure. At those extremes, investors have little incentive to hold through volatility, and even small shocks can trigger profit-taking that fuels corrective phases. From a structural perspective, Darkfost argues the market needs to reclaim the 75% supply-in-profit threshold to rebuild a healthier foundation. Historically, Bitcoin has tended to sustain bullish conditions when this metric holds above that level, as most participants remain comfortable and less reactive to downside volatility. Right now, however, the market sits near 71%, after dropping as low as 64%. Darkfost notes that readings this low have often appeared near the early stages of bear markets, even when the headline drawdown looks relatively contained. In this case, the decline of roughly 31% was enough to push a large portion of recent buyers underwater, suggesting many entered late in the move. The recent rebound briefly lifted supply in profit back to 75%, but it failed to hold. That rejection likely reflects investors using the bounce to exit at breakeven or reduce losses. Going forward, reclaiming 75%–80% would signal stabilization, while further weakness could amplify panic-driven selling. Related Reading: Ethereum Supply Tightens On Binance As Reserves Hit Lowest Level Since 2016 Volatility Keeps Bulls on the Defensive Bitcoin is attempting to stabilize near the $90,000 mark after a volatile correction that reshaped the market structure over the past few months. The chart shows BTC printing a major peak around $125,000 before rolling over into a sharp selloff. Accelerating into November and eventually finding a local floor near the mid-$80,000s. That drop marked a decisive break in momentum and triggered a shift toward a lower range, where price has struggled to regain prior support levels. Since the rebound off the lows, Bitcoin has moved into a consolidation phase, repeatedly testing resistance around $92,000–$95,000 but failing to generate sustained continuation. Each recovery attempt has been met with selling pressure, suggesting that short-term supply is still active near former breakdown zones. The latest bounce back toward $90,000 signals buyers are defending the level. But the structure still looks fragile without a clean breakout. Related Reading: Binance Order Flow Suggests Ethereum Is In Correction Mode: Demand Still Missing Volume also reflects uncertainty, with higher activity during selloffs and more muted participation during rebounds. Bulls likely need to hold $88,000–$90,000 and reclaim the $92,000 region with conviction. Featured image from ChatGPT, chart from TradingView.com

#TECH
Karachi Port-Kazakhstan rail link to boost trade, regional integration: Abbasi
dailytimes_pkhace 117d

Karachi Port-Kazakhstan rail link to boost trade, regional integration: Abbasi

Federal Minister for Railways Muhammad Hanif Abbasi Thursday said that the Karachi Port-Kazakhstan railway connectivity a mega initiative that would open new avenues for trade, transit and regional integration. During a meeting with Ambassador of Kazakhstan Yerzhan Kistafin in Islamabad, focusing on strengthening regional connectivity and enhancing bilateral cooperation in the railway sector, the minister [...]

#ECONOMY
RBC Capital Maintains Constructive Stance on Webster Financial (WBS) Following Q4 Preview
insidermonkeyhace 117d

RBC Capital Maintains Constructive Stance on Webster Financial (WBS) Following Q4 Preview

Webster Financial Corporation (NYSE:WBS) is one of the best large cap value stocks to buy in 2026. On January 12, RBC Capital raised its price target on Webster Financial to $72 from $70 and maintained an Outperform rating. In its Q4 2025 earnings preview, RBC Capital updated its regional bank price targets while maintaining a [...]

#STOCKS
HSBC Upgrades Chubb (CB) to Buy With a $354 PT
insidermonkeyhace 117d

HSBC Upgrades Chubb (CB) to Buy With a $354 PT

Chubb Limited (NYSE:CB) is one of the best large cap value stocks to buy in 2026. On January 16, HSBC upgraded Chubb to Buy from Hold, setting a price target of $354. Furthermore, Citizens increased the firm’s price target for Chubb to $350 from $325 while maintaining an Outperform rating. The firm anticipates that Q4 [...]

#STOCKS